Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Good work yesterday

I did good work yesterday. It feels good to look myself i the face and say that i did good work. I should put it as part of the sincerity diaries. An important reason why i could come to this conclusion was that husband was back home early from work. infact, he was home well before I was, and by the time I was home, he had already had dinner and was playing with the kids. Patti was still at home, as Anjali refused to let her go until i returned from work.

So, both girls had finished dinner, and husband wanted to go out to fix my bike (I had been going on I am a watermelon and my husband is a triathlon runner mode). I made a nice decision at that juncture. Anjali and I stayed at home to fix her goody bags for her school party and husband took Sophia to fix the bike. All around, it was a good option. Sophia got a chance to ride in the baby seat, and I had some alone time with Anjali - something which I hadnt had for quite a while - since work became demanding and Sophia grew up.

First we put the goodes in the bag. I am keeping it simple. There were small uht yogurt drinks (marked healthy choice by MOH) that came in mixed fruit, strawberry and blueberry flavors. There is one packet of drink and one paint set for each kid. Swati suggested stickers, but the shop where I usually buy stickers was closed on Tuesday when i went, so that didnt quite work out.

We then did some finger painting. The recipe was simple - just about six to seven spoons of flour mixed with very warm water to make a paste. We dunked the paste in batches on the table and poured batches of food coloring on them. Anjali spent some time drawing on the colors, after which I took prints on construction papers. The prints are drying merrily from the living room window. The idea is that they would finish drying by this evening and then I can cut them up into thank you cards for all the kids in the school - to give along with the goody bag.

The result was quite pretty. Different colors of construction paper with various abstract blobs on them. Husband says that we ought to frame and sell them on ebay. We also did a big special one (Anjali calls it noodles), and printed it on drawing block.

Halfway through this, husband and Sophia returned from the bike journey. Sophia quickly joined in the fray. After she had spent time mixing the colors, she continued to another level and ate them. I am thankful that I use flour and food coloring, so they are very much edible. Next time however, i intend to add salt into the mixture so that she will not eat them too much.

The girls went into the bath while husband prepared a tuna snack. Anjali liked it very much, though Sophia preferred her rava for supper.

I then tried the exploding bag experiment (1/4 cup warm water, 1/2 cup vinegar in ziploc. Make a time release packet with baking soda by wrapping baking soda in kitchen paper. Drop the packer in the ziploc and immediately seal the ziploc)

it was quite cool. The time release packet worked really well. Atfirst, only the kitchen paper inflated. But after we agitate the thing a bit, the whole thing blew, like a very hard baloon. It didnt burst however, like the website said it wouldd

Husband, at this juncture was quite worried (that this is how they make bombs, and if it pops, it will blow up etc). So he thre a shoe at it until it deflated and then we took the contraption outside for a bit while the girls played ball with it. Sophia was fascinated by the ball that has water inside and kept shaking it before passing back to Anjali.

Finally the thing began to leak a little and went into the chute.

The girls were in bed by 10.15 and I got up at 6am. After putting husband's lunch in the oven (sweet corn and bell pepper custard), I bagan (finally, halleluiah) on the nursery rhymes book



No comments:

Post a Comment

For your little notes and ideas